If Elvis was still alive this would probably the burger he would choose in a hipster gourmet burger joint, the Elvis Burger. This burger has peanut butter and caramelized banana and just because we can bacon. This weird combination got me “All Shook Up” when I tasted it!
I came across this Elvis Burger on Instagram. I can’t recall who made it, so I can’t give credit for that. But the idea stuck, I had to make it. The combination of peanut butter and banana works on a grilled sandwich and in my breakfast oatmeal. But how would it turn out when you add meat?
Until I sank my teeth in this burger I had no idea what to expect. Actually it is good, pretty good even! The peanut butter in combination with the meat tastes like peanut sauce, something quite common here in Holland. The warm banana adds a nice sweet touch and the bacon gives it a nice saltiness.
The Elvis Burger
- 2 beef burgers
- 2 burger buns
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 banana
- light brown sugar
- Cut the banana on the bias in to 2,5 cm / 1 inch slices. Put the slices in a cast iron skillet. Add a nice fat knob of butter to the pan and sprinkle the slices with brown sugar.Place the pan on the barbecue, alternatively you can do this on your stove.
- Let the butter and sugar turn into a syrup. Turn the banana slices every once in a while until they are nicely caramelized and done. Remove the skillet from the barbecue and set aside.
- Cut the burger buns in half and toast them on the barbecue until golden brown.
- Cook the burgers and the bacon.
- Slather peanut butter on the bottom half of the bun. Put a burger on top and slather the burger with another layer of peanut butter. This will help the banana slices stick and not fall off.
- Finish the Elvis Burger by topping the burgers with the caramelized banana slices, the bacon and the top of the bun.
Did you know that you can find me on Facebook and Instagram? I’d really appreciate it when you tag me or use the hashtag #noskosbbq when you make one of my recipes. That way I get to see how your version turned out.